Ecotourism is an important sector of tourism. The present article introduces a classification of its material and non-material objects. They are natural, anthropogenic, and fossil-anthropogenic monuments, which serve as information transmitters, and thereby play a significant role for local history. Objects of ecotourism are unique, attractive, and aesthetically appealing sights and samples of cultural heritage that stimulate ecotourism and the sustainable development of the region. The paradigm of ecotourism is modern, promising, profitable, and environmentally friendly. It presupposes a thorough in-depth study of its objects, as well as their development and classification. Azerbaijan boasts a considerable variety of physical and geographical conditions. This territory possesses both natural resources and the cultural heritage. Therefore, the country demonstrates a huge long-term potential for ecotourism.
monument, natural monument, anthropogenic monument, taxonomy monument, chorological monument, archaeological monument, architectural monument
1. Reimers N. F. Nature management. Moscow: Mysl, 1990, 639. (In Russ.)
2. Ceballos-Lascurain H. Tourism, ecotourism and protected areas. Gland: IUCN, 1996, 315. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2305/IUCN.CH.1996.7.en
3. Drozdov A. V. Fundamentals of ecotourism. Moscow: Gardariki, 2005, 271. (In Russ.)
4. Panov I. N. Ecological tourism. Geografiia, 1997, (45): 9–13. (In Russ.)
5. Sergeeva T. K. Ecological tourism. Moscow: Financy and Statistika, 2004, 360. (In Russ.)
6. Ecotourism on the way to Russia. Principles, recommendations, Russian and foreign experience, eds. and comps. Ledovskikh E. Yu., Moraleva N. V., Drozdov A. V. Tula: Grif and K, 2002, 284. (In Russ.)
7. Mironenko N. S., Tverdokhlebov N. T. Recreational geography. Moscow: MGU, 1981, 271. (In Russ.)
8. Theodoronsky V. S., Bogovaya I. O. Objects of landscape architecture. Moscow: MGUL, 2003, 300. (In Russ.)
9. Ruban D. A. Geoturism – A geographycal review of the literature. Tourism Management Perspectives, 2015, 15: 1–15.
10. Gerasimov I. P. Experience of geomorphological interpretation of the general scheme of the geological structure of the USSR. Problems of physical geography. Moscow-Leningrad: AN SSSR, 1946, iss. XII, 3–29. (In Russ.)
11. Khalilov H. A. Morphological structures of the eastern part of Lesser Caucasus (Relief analysis: theory and practice). Baku: Azerbaidzhanskaia Entsiklopediia, 1999, 278. (In Russ.)
12. Rustamov M. I. South Caspian basin: geodynamic events and processes. Baku: Nafta-press, 2005, 345. (In Russ.)
13. Kengerli T. N. Tectonic zoning. Geology of Azerbaijan. Vol. IV. Tectonics, eds. Hain V. E., Alizade Ak. A. Baku: Nafta-press, 2005, 32–42. (In Russ.)
14. Budagov B. A. Geomorphological zoning. Aliev G., Shirinov N. Relief of Azerbaijan. Baku: Elm, 1993, 147–151. (In Russ.)
15. Aliev G., Shirinov N. Relief of Azerbaijan. Baku: Elm, 1993, 291. (In Russ.)
16. Geology of Azerbaijan. Vol. II. Lithology, eds. Hain V. E., Alizade Ak. A. Baku: Nafta-press, 2005, 278. (In Russ.)
17. Melikov R. The Ancient Azerbaijan. Azerbaijan National Encyclopedia. The special "Azerbaijan". Baku, 2012, 167–188. (In Russ.)
18. Khalilov H. A. Natural monuments of the Azerbaijan Republic and ecotourism. Panorama Azerbaidzhana, 2006, (1): 102–109. (In Russ.)
19. Khalilov H. A. To the geological objects of ecotourism of the Azerbaijan Republic and the principles of their classification. Proceedigns of the BSU branch of Azerbaijan State University. Baku, 2009, vol. 2, 275–280. (In Russ.)
20. Unique geological monuments of ecotourism of Azerbaijan. Tourism in the continental Russia: Proc. III Intern. Sci. workshop, Perm, July 21–26, 2014. Perm: PGNIU, 2014, 110–114. (In Russ.)
21. Khalilov H. A., Sadikhova N. A. Natural Potential of the Ecotourism Development in Azerbaijan. Vestnik Kemerovskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriia: Biologicheskie, tekhnicheskie nauki i nauki o Zemle, 2018, (1): 74–80. (In Russ.)
22. Mammadov G., Yusifov E., Khalilov M., Kerimov V. Azerbaijan: ecoturism potencial. Baku, 2012, vol. 1, 360.
23. Mammadov G., Yusifov E., Khalilov M., Kerimov V. Azerbaijan: ecoturism potencial. Baku, 2012, vol. 2, 420.
24. Budagov B. A. Natural monuments in Azerbaijan. Izv. NAN Azerbaĭdzhana. Nauki o Zemle, 2000, (3): 3–8. (In Russ.)
25. Ismailov Ch., Sultanov Z. New conditions of tourism development in Azerbaijan. Touravel '18: Intern. Conf. Istanbul, 2018, 18–25.
26. Soltanova G. B. Tourism in the Azerbaijan Republic and its development. Baku, 2015, 447. (In Russ.)
27. Humbatov R., Novruzov N. Azerbaijan: travel information. Baku: Azer Olympic International, 2008, 24.