Urban agglomerations are the result of a process of spatial competition for resources. To analyze the functioning of specific urban centers, it is necessary to make a distinction between the process of agglomeration and the state of agglomeration in the spatial structure. This paper shows the interrelation of the process of urban agglomeration and the agglomeration of the production activity as its economic foundation. The study reveals the connection between the urban agglomeration process and the agglomeration of the production activity with the purpose to ensure food supplies. The authors analyze the background, causes, opportunities, goals and challenges of the Kuzbass urban agglomeration. The specifics of the Kuzbass agglomeration lie in a significant level of urbanization and in having two core cities in the region. This gives grounds to describe the Kuzbass agglomeration as a conurbation. The relationship between the two centers within the conurbation is an under-researched problem. The specifics of the Kuzbass agglomeration (conurbation) also lie in its in-between location and close proximity to the neighboring agglomerations. On one hand, its location exacerbates a competition for resources, but on the other hand, it is the basis for the solution of certain internal problems, such as food supply security. Usually, an urban agglomeration is accompanied by a reduction of the rural population, and thus, by a decrease of the opportunities for agriculture. The Kuzbass agglomeration’s location allows for a solution to the problem of food security not only due to the development of its own agricultural sector, but also due to the agrarian sector in the neighboring agglomerations.
agglomeration, urban agglomeration, conurbation, food market
1. Zobova L.L. and Shabashev V.A. (ed.). O teoreticheskikh osnovakh prostranstvennoy struktury gorodskoy aglomeratsii. Sotsial'no-ekonomicheskie preobrazovaniya v Rossii [On the theoretical foundations of the spatial structure of urban agglomeration]. Socio-economic changes in Russia: collection of scientific works. Kemerovo: Kuzbassvuzizdat Publ., 2014, vol. 77, pp. 25-31.
2. Fujita M. and Ogawa H. Multiple equilibria and structural transition of non-monocentric urban configurations. Regional Science and Urban Economics, 1982, no. 2, pp. 161-196.
3. Fujita М. Evolution of Spatial Economics. The Japanese Economic Review, March 2010, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 1-32.
4. Fujita M. and Ogawa H. Multiple equilibria and structural transition of non-monocentric urban configurations. Regional Science and Urban Economics, 1982, no. 12, pp.161-196.
5. Mori T. Monocentric versus polycentric models in urban economics. KIER Working Papers 611. Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research, January 2006, Discussion Paper no. 61.
6. Krugman P. What’s New about the New Economic Geography? Oxford Review of Economic Policy, 1998, vol. 14, no. 2. pp. 7-17.
7. Mikhailova T.N. Geography is not destiny! (Comments to the «Siberian curse» F. Hill and C. Gaddy). Journal of Institutional Studies, 2011, no. 1, vol. 3, pp. 97-103. (In Russian).
8. Gaddy G. and Hill F. The Siberian Curse: How Communist Planners Left Russia out in the Cold. Available at: https://books.google.ru/books?id=5OvaO4Cb8SsC&printsec=frontcover&hl=ru#v=onepage&q&f=false. (accessed 03.01.2016).
9. Harvey D. The urbanization of capital. (In Russian). Available at: http://www.redflora.org/2012/10/blog-post.html (accessed 18.01.2016).
10. Smart data for smart cities. Geospatial World, June 2015, pp. 7-8.
11. Spotted Russia: agglomeration and peripherals. The polarization of space: to resist or adapt? Available at: http://hnu.docdat.com/docs/index-174251.html (accessed 10.03.2016).
12. Harvey D. The urbanization of capital. (In Russian). Available at: http://www.redflora.org/2012/10/blog-post.html (accessed 18.01.2016).
13. Sibirskiy federal'nyy okrug [Siberian Federal District]. Available at: http://statinfo.biz/html/M98F0S0L1.aspx (accessed 14.03.2016).
14. Zobova L.L. and Savina Yu. Transportnaya osvoennost' i transportnaya dostupnost' kak faktor aglomerirovannosti gorodov [Transportation development and transportation accessibility as a factor of urban agglomeration]. Ekonomika XXI veka: analiz mirovoy praktiki: kollektivnaya monografiya (N.A. Adamov (red.) [The economy of the XXI century: analysis of world practice: collective monograph (N.A. Adamov (ed.)]. Мoscow: EKTs «Professor» Publ., 2015. 336 p.
15. Zobova L.L. and Shabashev V.A. The Kuzbass conurbation as an example of the spatial structure of urban agglomeration. Bulletin of the Kemerovo State University, 2015, no. 1-4 (61), pp. 209-212. (In Russian).
16. Sibirskiy federal'nyy okrug [Siberian Federal District]. Available at: http://statinfo.biz/html/M98F0S0L1.aspx (accessed 14.01.2016).
17. Shabashev V.A. The peculiarities of the regional industrial policy in the conditions of urban agglomeration formation (The Kemerovo region case study). Bulletin of the Altai science, 2015, no. 4, pp. 32-37. (In Russian).
18. Kolomak E. Aglomeratsionnye protsessy na territorii Rossii: dinamika, struktura, faktory [The agglomeration processes in Russia: dynamics, structure, factors]. Materialy XIV mezhdunarodnoy nauchnoy konferentsii po problemam razvitiya ekonomiki i obshchestva [Proc. of the XIV April International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development]. Moscow, 2013, 2-5 April, vol. 1, pp. 396-406.
19. Urban Food Strategies. Available at: http://www.urbanfoodstrategies.com/ (accessed 20.01.2016).
20. Federal'naya tamozhennaya sluzhba Rossii [Federal Customs Service of Russia]. Available at: http://customs.ru/index.php?Itemid=2348&id=16982&option=com_content&view=article (accessed 14.01.2016).
21. Kosinskiy P.D., Bondarev N.S., and Bondareva G.S. Prodovol'stvennoe obespechenie regiona: voprosy teorii i praktiki [Food supply of the region: theory and practice]. Novosibirsk: GNU SibNIIESKh Publ., 2015, 397 p.
22. Izhmulkina E.A. and Sekacheva V.M. Current trends and forecasting food supply of the Kemerovo region. Siberian Financial School, 2012, no. 1, p. 30. (In Russian).
23. AGROXXI. Available at: http://www.agroxxi.ru/zhivotnovodstvo/novosti/v-novokuznecke-postrojat-novyi-zhivotnovodcheskii-kompleks.html (accessed 17.03.2016). (In Russian).
24. Zobova L.L. Genezis i transformatsiya zakona rynochnykh arealov [The genesis and transformation of the law of market areas]. Kemerovo: KemSU Publ., 2001. 174 p.