The present paper identifies the specific features of the conflict between Madrid and Catalonia and its significance for the European Union. The Catalan conflict serves here as an example of the regionalism processes in the European Union. The author defines the conflict as postmodern, which determines the novelty of the research. The research employed integrated scientific methods. The comparative method was used to compare the economic, social, cultural, and political positions and aspects of Catalonia and Spain; the method of actualization was used to describe the situation taking into account the specifics of the region; the method of structural analysis was used to study the content of the conflict. The authors applied the systemic approach since the structure of the Spanish political system is extremely complex. Analytical expert articles, news reports, and video recordings were used as an empirical research base. As a result, some features of the conflict in the postmodern world were revealed and exemplified by the Catalan crisis.
multicultural space, transformation, antiglobalism, the era of modernity
1. Yakovlev P. P. «Brexit po-ispanski»: prichiny i posledstviia katalonskogo krizisa [Brexit Spanish-style: causes and consequences of the Catalan crisis]. Perspektivy. Elektronnyi zhurnal = E-journal «Perspectives and prospects», no. 3 (2017): 36–51.
2. Rubtsov A. V. Do i posle postmoderna: na poroge sverhnovogo vremeni [Before and after postmodernity: on the threshold of super modern time]. Politicheskaia kontseptologiia: zhurnal metadisciplinarnykh issledovanii = The Political Conceptology: Journal of Metadisciplinary Studies, no. 1 (2018): 143–157.
3. Anikeeva N. E. Aktual'nye roblemy Ispanii [The actual problems of modern Spain]. Vestnik MGIMO Universiteta = MGIMO Review of International Relations, no. 6 (2014): 138–143.
4. Volkova G. I. Ob odnoi pamiatnoi date v istorii Ispanii [About one memorable date in the history of Spain]. Vestnik MGIMO Universiteta = MGIMO Review of International Relations, no. 6 (2014): 92–100.
5. Vernikov V. Krizis politicheskoj sistemy ili vyzov vremeni? [Crisis of the political system or the challenge of time?]. Sovremennaia Evropa = Contemporary Europe, no. 1 (2017): 134–138. Available at: http://www.instituteofeurope.ru/images/uploads/analitika/az79.pdf (accessed 21.09.2018).